Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help finding replacement lead-acid battery for Robomower

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Posted Image
The battery in my robomower died over the winter, so I need to find a replacement. So, I could get a robomower battery from ebay, but they want $175+!!! Froogle prices are about the same. Hard to spend that kind of money when the mower only cost me $185!

So I took the battery pack apart, and found that it contains two standard lead-acid batteries. Here's the information I found on these batteries:

YUASA
Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery
Cyclic Application
NPC17-12 12V 17Ah
Charging (20): 14.4V - 14.8V, Max 4.25A
size: 181 x 76 x 167 mm (7.13" x 2.99" x 6.57")

So then I try looking for someone who sells this battery. Turns out it's only sold in Europe. I can't find anyone selling it in the states. So now, I'm trying to a domestic equivalent for this battery. And then find a good price on it. Can somebody knowledgeable about lead-acids help me find equivalent batteries?

Posted Image

Added info: just wanted to point this out for people in the future who might stumble across this thread while looking for their own replacement batteries - the terminal type isn't important. These batteries have the bolt-hole, but there are "adapters" in the battery case that convert this to the tab style. So either kind will work just fine with no modifications necessary.

Edited by garsh, 19 July 2006 - 11:53 AM.

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
This looks promising: Powerstream: B&B Battery

The following three models appear to be the correct size and voltage, and differ only in the terminals:
EVP20-12-B1 (in stock), $45.66 ea
EVP20-12-T2 (special order)
EVP20-12-I1 (special order)
Here's the terminal diagram for that first one:
Posted Image
That looks like it should work. Can anyone see a reason why it would not?

Total with shipping would be $112.45
Still seems like a lot to spend on batteries.
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Found another: Solar4Power: Deep Cycle Batteries

The ES1712 VRLA-AGM Battery appears to be the correct size, voltage, capacity & terminal.
Total for 2 batteries + S&H = $96.20
Getting better.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
According to this page, the B&B EVP20-12-B1 is equivalent to an Interstate SLA1118

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 23-December 02
how bout this?

or this?

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

how bout this?
or this?

I think I need a battery designed for cyclic applications, which is why they cost more.

A UPS is almost always fully charged. The robomower is almost always running its battery pretty far down every time. Most lead-acids will not last long if they are constantly run down that far.

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 23-December 02
Let me try again...

how bout this one?

It may also be worth calling batteries.com to double check and see if they have anything comparable.
batteries.com has this promo running right now:
25% off orders $9.99+, Free 8 Pack of AA Alkaline Batteries, and Free Shipping Code: RAIN

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

Let me try again...

how bout this one?

Wow, that looks like a match. And only $27????
I'll investigate more, to see what I'm missing, but everything looks good so far.

Ok, they make up some of it on shipping. $80.94 shipped for two batteries. Still the best price so far. :)

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Also found this: Jameco Electronics: Tysonic TY-12-18, $32.85 ea.
$93.52 shipped for two.

I need to find a local store so I can save on shipping.
I guess a place that sells golf carts or motorized wheelchairs.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Another one: Powerizer LA-12V18-NB, $35.99 ea.
$95.11 shipped for two.

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
Look up in the Yellow Pages local medical supply businesses. Some probably do in-house service on the motorize wheel chairs they rent to customers and might have the batteries. Otherwise, someone there might tell you where to get them.
Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

HarleyD

HarleyD

Resident Biker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 07-February 03
http://www.batteries...sp?appid=265095

Our Price: $27.99

Posted Image
Pocket Kings are Ace magnets.

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 23-December 02

http://www.batteries...sp?appid=265095

Our Price: $27.99

that's definitely the best deal because of the current batteries.com coupon, but apparently garsh mentioned that it's not a deep cycle battery.

you could get two for $42 shipped plus some free AA's.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

that's definitely the best deal because of the current batteries.com coupon, but apparently garsh mentioned that it's not a deep cycle battery.

I might just get 2 of these and just plan on replacing them sooner. That's a pretty good price. Any idea how long the current promotion lasts?

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Batteries.com coupon exclusions

Due to weight restrictions, orders containing Optima vehicle batteries, Sealed Lead Acid products, Energizer UPS units, or alkaline orders over 2 pounds do not qualify for our Standard Shipping Rate or Free Shipping Offers.

Still, it comes to $53.23 shipped for 2 batteries & the free AA's.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

Still, it comes to $53.23 shipped for 2 batteries & the free AA's.

Ok, I ended up going with this. We'll see how it works. Local prices were pretty high.

Thanks for your help guys! :)

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Well, after running with these for several weeks, I found that they do not last as long as the original batteries. They don't even last for a full 2 hours of cutting. I'll probably live with them for the rest of this summer, but I'm going to have to find something better. Still, can't beat the price!

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
These batteries are dying a quick death. They don't seem to last much more than an hour now. At this rate, I'll have to start cutting my own lawn. :(

Let me try again...
how bout this one?

I decided to order two of these. They should arrive on Monday.

mtran1977

mtran1977

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-September 03
How are the Tysonic batteries working for you? I bought some batteries off Ebay and they aren't doing so well after 1 year. Thanks.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

How are the Tysonic batteries working for you?

Well, they're doing much better than the batteries.com ones. But just this week it's been hitting the "low battery" indication just before finishing the entire 2-hour run. I've been running the mower almost every single day this summer (except for rainy days).

If I were to do it again, I would try the B&B batteries. They seem to behave better under high discharge (300 cycles for 100% discharge, versus 200 cycles for the Tysonic).

dejavu

dejavu

blonde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,053 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 31-January 03
so this is for a robotic lawn mower? how cool. does it really work? what do you have? several acres? how does the thing not get "stuck" all the time? (you know, like a RC car would) -blink-
HarleyD ~ Riding with the Angels

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

so this is for a robotic lawn mower? how cool. does it really work?

Yep.

what do you have? several acres?

Nope. I have about half an acre. It'll take that thing about 5 days, running 2 hours each day, to adequately cut the whole thing. That's a lot longer than it takes me, but then I don't have to push it & sneeze my head off the whole time. :)

how does the thing not get "stuck" all the time?
(you know, like a RC car would)

This thing is a LOT larger than a Roomba, if that's what you're thinking of. It's a bit larger than a normal-size push-mower deck. But it doesn't work very well on hills, and if you have any ruts in your yard, it can get stuck in them.

mtran1977

mtran1977

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-September 03

Well, they're doing much better than the batteries.com ones. But just this week it's been hitting the "low battery" indication just before finishing the entire 2-hour run. I've been running the mower almost every single day this summer (except for rainy days).

If I were to do it again, I would try the B&B batteries. They seem to behave better under high discharge (300 cycles for 100% discharge, versus 200 cycles for the Tysonic).

Thanks for the info.

20AH B&B batteries (EVP20-12) are much cheaper from Digikey.com - $85 shipped for 2. Check out this yahoo group post.

http://groups.yahoo....r/message/10921

http://www.bb-batter...VP/Evp20-12.pdf

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
The Tysonic batteries aren't lasting much longer than an hour now. So I'm going to try something else.

I found MK Battery model ES17-12. And I found several places selling it:The Depth of Discharge curve seems slightly better than the Tysonic batteries at 100% discharge, but otherwise it doesn't seem much better.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

20AH B&B batteries (EVP20-12) are much cheaper from Digikey.com - $85 shipped for 2.

Thanks, mtran1977. I think I'm going to try these. I found this article about converting a Prius to be pluggable, and it confirms that these BB batteries have some of the best characteristics of lead-acid batteries.

In addition to Digikey, Battery Universe also seems to be selling these for $39.95 ea., plus $15.59 S&H, for a total of $95.49. Digikey is quoting a 14-week lead-time on this item right now, so I'm going to try ordering from BU.

edit: I ordered them and they have them in stock, so they're shipping out today! :)
I hope these batteries will last for more than one year.

Edited by garsh, 16 April 2007 - 10:50 AM.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Found another inexpensive vendor for the BB EVP20-12:

Powell Electronics, $39.13 ea., $8.95 S&H, total: $91.91

They have a 9 week lead time advertised, though.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

edit: I ordered them and they have them in stock, so they're shipping out today! :)

Well I received them today. Instead of the BB EVP20-12 batteries, they sent Universal Battery UB12180 batteries.

They are the same size & voltage, but are not deep cycle batteries and will not work in this application. :rolleyesold:

Between this and the Penguins being down 3-0 going into the 3rd period, I'm quite angry. I managed to fire off a decently-worded email asking them to send the correct batteries & provide instructions for returning these incorrect batteries.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

Found another inexpensive vendor for the BB EVP20-12:

Powell Electronics, $39.13 ea., $8.95 S&H, total: $91.91

They have a 9 week lead time advertised, though.

I just placed an order with this company. The 9 week lead time is gonna suck, but I don't appear to have much of a choice if I want this battery. :(

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Ok, I'm going to try to find the best price on the Yuasa battery. The specs on this battery appear to be even better than for the BB battery (600 cycles at 75% DOD, ~370 cycles at 100% DOD).And that's all I could find who would ship to the US. :(

update: I found out that the Yuasa now seems to be called Enersys. That's part of the problem with trying to find this battery. I guess it's not being manufactured anymore, because I can't find the NPC17-12 on Enersys's website.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Another possible replacement: the Panasonic LC-X1220P
Specifications
Doesn't provide DOD characteristics though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users