Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What are your best/weirdest BF stories?

44 replies to this topic

AMS

AMS

Angel

• Platinum Member
  • 30,941 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 26-December 02
I love reading these stories. I never have any good BF stories to tell, so I live vicariously through others.

More please.....
A happy wife is a happy life

delphernina

delphernina

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 30-October 05
Is it pathetic that I'm already stalking these bf threads?!? I mean, it's still more than 2 months away and I'm waiting anxiously for the next go round. -blush- I don't have any odd or funny stories, my little wal-mart runs pretty smoothly. The cashiers are so very friendly and helpful. Last year I helped an associate get a cabbage patch kid for her kidlet by grabbing it for her and giving it to a family member of hers later on. For the most part, everyone I have encountered on BF has been jovial, helpful and festive. :p Maybe that's why I like it so much?!?

c2mgj

c2mgj

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 23-November 03
I have two so-so stories. The first happened I think for BF2003 or BF. It was my first BF, so I went to BestBuy around 10:30AM (they opened around 6AM or so) just to see if I could find any leftovers. I was looking for the Simpsons Season 1 DVD for $11.99. Of course they were all gone by then. Since the line was wrapped around the whole store I figured I'd just browse around to see what else they had. While I was walking near the cashiers, one guy in line almost screams that he has 2 extra Simpsons DVD's, and the person in front and behind him each take one. It was very :( and -bang- The second happened last year, but didn't happen directly to me. I drove to Circuit City around 4:45AM, and the line to go in was already wrapped around the store. I noticed that there was also a police car near the front, but I didn't stay around to find out what happened. I decided to drive over to a nearby Target. I was probably the 20th person in line, and a while later a lady joined me. She told me that she had been in line at the Circuit City around midnight, and was near the front of the line. Then she said probably around 2AM some other people started arguing about who got in line first, and a fight broke out. That's why the police car was around. When the fight broke out I guess some people shoved their way closer to the front of the line, and the lady lost her spot. So she figured she'd just go to Target instead. Later, I drove by that Circuit City around noon and suprisingly there was still a line wrapped around it.

Kira

Kira

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 10-October 06
All I wanted to do was get that silly little robot for this little boy I watch every so often. Well I went to Linens and things (yeah they were selling it) didnt find it, went to target next dor to it...they didnt have t either. Finally drove 30 min to circuit city. It was around 8am and I got in there, got what i wanted, and got in line. some guy was in the line in front of me whining about how he had been in the store for 3hrs and I was like "Yeah I just got here" and he was like "don't tell me that" I was like "yeah and I parked right in front of the store". I did. I actually burned my clutch to a smell just because I was in a hurry just to parallel park and get out! Not too thrilling, but I think I upset the guy a little

didee100

didee100

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 17-November 04
My friend, my husband and I make BF a day event. We spend several hours plotting our strategies. We take only one car and usually get up at 3:30 am to be in line wherever we are going. I have to laugh at all the angry people we encounter. We have never seen anyone really rude or down right mean. We always talk nicely to the cashiers and wait patiently. Isn't that what the season is about. Joy, Fun, Family and Friends. The gifts are just a bonus. I do have to say I giggle quite alot to see some people get so serious. I don't think at 4 am on any morning of the year do I ever expect to be taken seriously. I hope you all have a safe and wonderful shopping BF and keep your spirits light. (I do have to tell you, my friend and I almost lost it when we saw a 80 some year old woman fighting with another woman over a $39 vacuum cleaner. I didn't think it was that great of a thing, but to each their own.) Be Safe & Have Fun :D

shop-a-holic

shop-a-holic

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 14-October 06
At Circuit City a few years ago they had big TV's on sale (before plasma & flat screens). We were coming out and saw some people loading a huge tv in their small hatchback car...they had already taken it out of the box to try and make it fit. Anyway they finally got it in there and the lady slammed down the door and CRASH...there was glass everywhere! The tv had smashed right through the hatchback window. It was very mean, but I couldn't help but laugh! -lol- Another funny story from a few years before that...also at CC. They had VCR's on sale for like $30 or $40. My little brother was probably like 10 or so and we had got him all psyched up about BF. We were some of the first people in line. When they opened those doors my brother took off running for the stack of VCR's. There must have been 200 in the stack, but he wanted to make sure he got one! :D Oh, the joys of BF :p

nodakskip

nodakskip

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 28-October 06
Might as well tell about the 2005 Black Friday. I was on my way past Best Buy at 7pm Thanksgiving day and saw there was already people waiting in line, so I pulled in and called my friend who was going to come at 10 or so. So we sat out there in the cold all night with a propane heater, called and ordered Pizzas a few times and they did bing them to us in line. And to make it even better that was the first night it snowed... several inches. Lets just say I was glad to have four wheel drive to get home. Biggest thing that happened was that some idiots in a big truck came about twenty minutes before they opened the door and tried to cut into the front of the line. The Best Buy guys kicked them to the WAAAAAy back of the line and there was almost a brawl between them and a teenager who was bitching them out for trying to cut in line. Other then that there was a fun time when I had a huge cart full of computers to go out, and a woman and kid who came very late (9am) was upset that all the computers were gone... so they tried to take mine out of my cart as I am leaving.

artie852

artie852

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 04-November 06
At chicago there's alot of chaos during BF. When I Was in line so many people tryed to cut in front and back of us. (i was like the 4th in line. I got mad so I pulled out by police raincoat and everyone stoped pushing and cutting.

HappyFriday

HappyFriday

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 09-November 06
-blush- The funniest story I know of are all the fights that take place at Walmart over a $30.00 DVD player. Aside from that, My sister and I stood in line for different items one year, and she wanted a Gameboy for her two children, I was at the $30.00 DVD players getting us all one. When suddenly out of a massive crowd of people I heard my sisters voice, YOU CAN"T DO THAT, She has the AD in her hand... They were tell her they were limiting the Gameboys to 1 per customer, SHE HOLLERED TO GET A STORE MANAGER RIGHT NOW! so they called him back there and NOW IT IS DEAD QUIET right, SHE IS TELLING THE MANAGER that IF IT IS NOT LIMITED IN THE AD THEY CAN'T LIMIT the ITEM... SHE WON! Save a bunch of MOM's a HEADACHE, and GOT TWO GAMEBOYS! AFTER ALL THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT.... -banana-

SirRadiodude

SirRadiodude

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 19-July 06
Simple and short... Black Friday 1998 I was a BB employee. Lady passed out in line... fell forward busting out front teeth. Blood everywhere. 2 guys fist-fighting over a discounted freezer.... a freezer for Christssake..... Nuts. I go every-year... cheap entertainment I say... and maybe a good deal every now and then.

chamberschik

chamberschik

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 17-October 07
OK. So...... last year, I decided to go to Best Buy earlier than I ever have before. See, BF 2005 My FIL & I went to TRU @ 3 a.m. and saw that the line at BB was barely to the fri=ont corner of the building. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to go to BB in 06 at around 12:45 a.m. I thought that, surely, the line would be even shorter than the year before and I was destined to get that 190.00 laptop. LOLOLOLOLOL Upon my arrival, I discovred that I was sadly mistaken. At 12:45 I was about at the back corner of the store. I sat there, talking to a lady whose friend had gone to BB in a neighboring town to check the line there. It was even longer! Soooo.... waited until about 4, actually moved about halfway up the building as people were getting discouraged and leaving. I too got discouraged and sent my FIL to check out TRU across the street. He called and said no-one was there. After weighing my options, I went to TRU. I was just hoping they would have a Wii or some other good deals. At TRU, I found the only people in line were my son's Cub Scout leader & wife! I was 3rd in the store and did not get a Wii but did get a roboraptor for 40 bucks. I'm doing research now so I'll know if I'll have to pay my neighbor's teenage son to sit in line for me. LOL

dispatchick

dispatchick

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 30-October 07
Wow...ya'll must live in some pretty quiet neighborhoods!! My first ever Black Friday was just a kinda, "hmm...wonder what all of them are standing in line for" curiousity coming home from a cateye shift at Sheetz. I really had nothing I wanted and didn't even see the ad, but thought, hmm, maybe some small Christmas gifts, I needed to unwind anyway. Wow, unwind...isnt the word!! I waited in the freezing line thinking, wtf...looking over the shoulders of people to see what the big fuss was about. This was the year, and I cannot recall which, but game boys were really cheap. The doors opened (before our new super walmart time) and I have never seen anything like it. People lined up and the lines just collapsed, doors were shaking, literally! One lady set her 2 year old on a TV (she was terrified by this time) and told her to wait and not move no matter what until Mommy came back with a cart. I of course had to sit and beat the buzzards off this small terrified child...then let the mother know what I thought! I believe there was some minor hair pulling that day, nothing severe... It has since become a tradition. Last year I wanted a snugglebean Cabbage Patch for my daughter and neice...and not that I thought I wouldn't get one but hey, it's fun to get up early and be first in line. Our new super walmart of course is opened with the ropes and all...and I was first in line (woo-hoo) and wow was I ever sorry. They hadn't even pulled the rope and someone comes flying into me, shoving me into the rope (yup you guessed it) chain reaction of everyone thinking it was time to go, and they all came at once. Down I go, onto a skid, busted my knee and new jeans, bleeding, and people are literally clobbering me for these, WILL NOT let me up. So...I just started heaving these dolls, I mean throwing them back over my head. Some lady said I hit her in the head, I thought, hey lady, you're not getting killed over here! So once I did get out of there (managed to get my pics of the litter while I was shoved into the pile anyway) I continued shopping. Usually I just find a few items that I want and leave. Of course, I do take people with me, and swap stuff, ya know, you pick this up in this line and I'll get one of these for you and we'll meet and swap. Last year I picked up a few extra because I knew I'd see someone later who I knew or my dd's friends mom, and if not usually I will go back to the original spot and see some down-trodden soul who lights up at the site of, "hey, I grabbed an extra, were you lookin for these?" SOOO much fun. Last year I took my mom as well who is just not even a shopper on normal days, and she had so much fun just being the back up buggy driver, lol. Wish I could get some hands on that Walmart list but it'll come soon enough I'm sure. :)

jungleman

jungleman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 10-November 03
I tell this one every year :p I think this was in 2004...I was driving down a pretty much empty road headed to Staples at about 4:00 AM. I figured I'd drive a little faster than normal since I lived in a small town and I didn't figure any cops would be out at that hour. About a mile away from my destination, I got pulled over and a ticket written for going 62 in a 35 zone, which I ended up getting dropped but it cost me $375. Sort of defeated the purpose of Black Friday, I guess...but I walked away with a ton of great deals anyway :D

jdwinty

jdwinty

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 17-November 03
Two years ago I was camped out at Circuit City overnight and funny stuff happened all through the night. It was freezing and just watching people show up without adequate clothing and then leaving after waiting a short while was hilarious in itself. My favorite were these two Asian guys who show up with a couple of kitchen chairs and are like 25th in line (not too bad if you aren't after the computers) but they were dressed very poorly with no jackets or gloves. Within minutes, they decide to go get coats but leave their chairs to "hold" their place in line. Of course they failed to establish report with anyone in line and so nobody was going to listen to their heralding ownership of these two chairs. As the hour passed and more people would show up, my buddy and I would answer to all that came to just go ahead and move those chairs back in line. By the time the asian guys showed back up they were like 150th in line. They grabbed their chairs and left. It got really really cold that night and people were stomping and huddling and such. I had a nice army sleeping bag and a few lawn chairs and was pretty snug but my buddy was cold as crap and all red faced. I took a break and shot up to Caseys General Store to use the bathroom and get some snacks. I got an idea while there and bought a big aluminum turkey pan and a few of those self starter logs. When I got back I lit the sucker and soon a whole throng of people were crowded around this small fire swearing on the lives of their children to defend it. When the police came by they just smiled and when the Circuity City employees showed up they just laughed but not once did anyone demand we put it out. :O))) This year it is projected to be cold again. We have a collapsable tent, propane heater and might even grill this year. If you establish yourself in line (especially through understanding and report with those around you, have something (chairs and blankets) to hold your place, then leaving for 10 or 15 minutes is easy. They do it for you and you do it for them. As far as tents and such being impractical, not when you are freezing your arse off. Besides, when "the quickening" approaches. That time when you don't have long to open, throngs of people will alternate running crap to their cars and getting themselves into shopping shape. Good Luck! JD

catfishhunters99

catfishhunters99

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 29-November 05
Wow, no new stories for three years? I have one. Back when both my kids were little- about 10 years or so ago- Best Buy dropped the price of a desktop computer under $200. So we decided to splurge and get them this eMachines special, and I headed out to BB at 1AM for the 6AM start. It was a cold, cold night, but I had dressed for the part, and got into the store, snagged the computer, and was checked out by around 7:30 (this was back in the day where they would not let you leave before their techs loaded the machines with bloatware....I mean checked the machine. On the way out, an incoming customer saw my computer in the cart, and offered me $400.00 on the spot for it. I turned him down, but the BF frenzy was summed up for me by that guy's desperate attempt.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users