Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Return/Rebuy Discussion Thread

9 replies to this topic

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Joined 23-December 02
As it's become a pretty hot topic this year. Here's a thread for it. Please add your own tips and tricks for return and rebuying. :)

Basic Idea:

Buy the item in advance of the sale. Return the item to the store on Black Friday and then immediately rebuy it to take advantage of the new sale price.

In a lot of cases, Black Friday items have rebates. So you must actually re-ring the item to get a new receipt with valid dates for the rebates. Also, make sure you buy the item within the retailers return policy or they may not allow you to return and then rebuy. These policies can vary anywhere from 14 to 30 days.

This method could also be considered useful for stores that don't allow pricematching.

----------

Potential problems that you should be somewhat aware of:

1) Some items may not be bought early as some stores hold their stock of the item until Black Friday. As a way to prevent early buying.

2) Some managers may not allow you to rebuy the item or even pricematch the item citing a special limited one day event.

----------

Pricematching discussion thread in case that's what you're looking for.

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Joined 23-December 02
At least based on a couple threads.... it seems like Best Buy, Officemax, and Circuit City may be taking a little harder stance this year. Just to keep this thread updated.

mofo

mofo

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 06-May 04
I have heard of some people pre-purchasing items before BF to avoid sell outs and then returning them on BF only to repurchase again. Do I have this right? I mean, does this work??

ladyonzgo

ladyonzgo

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 22-November 04
Yes I have done this but I would suggest to scout out the policy in the individual store and ask very specific ?? ie does the price adjustment have to be made within the same time constraints as the sale?

slyone

slyone

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 17-November 04

Yes I have done this but I would suggest to scout out the policy in the individual store and ask very specific ?? ie does the price adjustment have to be made within the same time constraints as the sale?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm told and assume yes you would have to do it within the "sale hours" I just spoke w/a guy from BB, he said the individual stores sometimes "close their cust.service to use as cashiering stations only"!!! That's a problem?

Monga

Monga

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,016 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 06-February 03
I have often wondered ;about this strategy and whether people actually find the time to do this... BF is so crazy anyway that I cannot even imagine doing a return on that day!! Do you guys really do it? Doesn't it add to the exhaustion of the day??
You'll be missed, HarleyD.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 148,125 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

BF is so crazy anyway that I cannot even imagine doing a return on that day!! Do you guys really do it? Doesn't it add to the exhaustion of the day??

The few times I've been out on BF in the last couple of years, it looked like the CS desks were the lonliest places in town... :p

Where I am is where I need to be...
Just Another Chicago Born & Raised Kook
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

Not MIA...just trying to figure out Windows 8!

gametalent

gametalent

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
I did the return/rebuy trick last year for the laptop BB has for BF. Brought the laptop few days early, then went to return/rebuy before the early-bird sales end. I didn't even have to stand in line for the return/rebuy as the crowd were gone by then.

ebytes

ebytes

Memberô

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 25-September 04

I did the return/rebuy trick last year for the laptop BB has for BF.

Brought the laptop few days early, then went to return/rebuy before the early-bird sales end.

I didn't even have to stand in line for the return/rebuy as the crowd were gone by then.

Did they require you to bring in the laptop or did you just show them your receipt?

gametalent

gametalent

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

Did they require you to bring in the laptop or did you just show them your receipt?

I just showed them the receipt, but had the laptop in the car just in case they asked for it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users