Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is a good laptop deal on this black friday?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

pradman

pradman

Gold Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 20-February 04
Looking for sub $500

Not for gaming, not for heavy graphics but will be doing some photoshop

I am looking at this one advertised for $399.99, is it a good deal??

http://www.officedep...aptop-Computer/

spec are

Intel Core i3

Large 4GB memory lets you run your most demanding programs.
500GB hard drive holds thousands of songs, photos and documents.
Wireless-N (802.11n) for high-performance, cable-free networking. Lets you access wireless networks to share files, surf the Web and exchange email. Fully compatible with 802.11b/g as well. Wired networking is supported, too.
15.6" diagonal LED-backlit TruBrite® display. LED backlighting permits a thinner and more energy-efficient screen.
Plays and burns CDs and DVDs.
Memory card reader for fast, easy photo transfers. Transfer your digital photos, music and other files from 8 types of memory cards (adapter may be required for use).
HDMI port lets you view videos and photos on your HDTV. (HDMI cable sold separately.)
Built-in webcam and microphone let you keep in touch with others via video and voice messaging.
Integrated numeric keypad speeds data entry and calculations.
Provides up to 5.7 hours of battery life on a single charge.
Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The newest version of Windows makes everyday tasks simple.
Supports Energy Star® and EPEAT® Gold standards.

http://www.theblackf...riday-ad1.shtml

Edited by pradman, 22 November 2011 - 11:39 PM.

carloscai

carloscai

Gold-Box-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,702 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 09-February 03
Could there be any good deals in the Dell Outlet? I have some really good shopping experience with them this year.
I will miss you, HarleyD.

steltek

steltek

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 13-August 03

Looking for sub $500

Not for gaming, not for heavy graphics but will be doing some photoshop

I am looking at this one advertised for $399.99, is it a good deal??

http://www.officedep...aptop-Computer/

spec are

Intel Core i3

Large 4GB memory lets you run your most demanding programs.
500GB hard drive holds thousands of songs, photos and documents.
Wireless-N (802.11n) for high-performance, cable-free networking. Lets you access wireless networks to share files, surf the Web and exchange email. Fully compatible with 802.11b/g as well. Wired networking is supported, too.
15.6" diagonal LED-backlit TruBrite® display. LED backlighting permits a thinner and more energy-efficient screen.
Plays and burns CDs and DVDs.
Memory card reader for fast, easy photo transfers. Transfer your digital photos, music and other files from 8 types of memory cards (adapter may be required for use).
HDMI port lets you view videos and photos on your HDTV. (HDMI cable sold separately.)
Built-in webcam and microphone let you keep in touch with others via video and voice messaging.
Integrated numeric keypad speeds data entry and calculations.
Provides up to 5.7 hours of battery life on a single charge.
Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The newest version of Windows makes everyday tasks simple.
Supports Energy Star® and EPEAT® Gold standards.

http://www.theblackf...riday-ad1.shtml

This is probably the best equipped of the lowball-priced i3 machines I've seen as it is advertised as having 6GB of memory (most everybody else's has either 3GB or 4GB) and a 500GB hard drive for under $400.00. However, I don't know how happy you'll be with it running Photoshop - simply stated, integrated graphics suck the big one. The current crop of AMD chips now have integrated graphics that are capable of running rings around older Intel integrated offerings, but the flip side is that you get a CPU with Atom-like performance - again, not cool.

BTW, if you buy it, make sure that OD gives you one with the 6GB of memory as advertised - your link and specs only quote 4GB.

Before you buy, you might check out the Dell Small Business outlet and see if you can find a refurb i3 or i5 with dedicated graphics -- it might be a little more expensive, but your Photoshop experience would likely be far more satisfying...

EDIT: Depending upon how you feel about refurbs, Dell Small Business outlet has some i5 machines with dedicated graphics cards for less than $500 (specifically, some Vostro 3550s) - just tick the Core i processor option, click the 1GB dedicated graphics card option, then sort price lowest to highest - I'm not enamored with the screen resolution, but it is what it is...).

Edited by steltek, 23 November 2011 - 05:52 PM.

pradman

pradman

Gold Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 20-February 04

EDIT: Depending upon how you feel about refurbs, Dell Small Business outlet has some i5 machines with dedicated graphics cards for less than $500 (specifically, some Vostro 3550s) - just tick the Core i processor option, click the 1GB dedicated graphics card option, then sort price lowest to highest - I'm not enamored with the screen resolution, but it is what it is...).

Thank you for taking time Steltek. Happy thanksgiving!!

pradman

pradman

Gold Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 20-February 04
I ordered the bestbuy one for pickup, i hope i have made a good decision. If it is not good, just gonna cancel

http://www.bestbuy.c... ...p;cp=1&lp=1

carloscai

carloscai

Gold-Box-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,702 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 09-February 03
Congrats on the new computer then! Of course, until the next upgrade! :p
I will miss you, HarleyD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic