Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Router recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
I'd like to get a router that can do the following:
  • Wireless networking.
  • Print server.
  • DNS server.
I currently have a separate printer server, and I'd like to consolidate that functionality.

Also, I like to run my own DNS server for my home network, just so I can name each of my devices and access them easily. But whenever I want to bring down my home server to update/change something, the rest of the network loses its DNS server. So I'd really like to have this functionality integrated with my router as well.

Is there such a beast? Do any routers support DNS server functionality, or do I have to install 3rd-party firmware (like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or Tomato) to obtain it?

Bonus points if the router also supports:
  • 802.11n (I'm still using 802.11g at home).
  • Gigabit ethernet ports.
  • Sharing of various other USB devices, including drives.

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

dasnufus

dasnufus

Hi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 21-December 02
just sharing my limited knowledge on routers but here it goes.

You probably have to or want use a 3rd party firmware. The only 3rd party firmware I've ever used is dd-wrt so I can't really comment on the other options.

I popular router that seems to meet your requirements is the Asus rt-n16

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B00387G6R8/

Powerful CPU provides a high-performance throughput; Support up to 300,000 sessions for extensive P2P clients
Network Standard: IEEE802.11b, IEEE802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft; Interface: WAN: 1x RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT
USB: 2x USB2.0; Antenna: 3x external antenna; Operating Frequency: 2.4 ~ 2.5 GHz
Sensitivity: ANT0 -75dBm, ANT1 -75dBm (at 54Mbps data rate), Firewall: NAT and SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection)
Encryption: Supports 64/128-bit WEP; WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK; WPA-Enterprise, WPA2-Enterprise; Radius with 802.1x
Data Rate: 802.11n Draft 2.0: up to 300Mbps, 802.11g: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54Mbps, 802.11b: 1, 2, 5.5, 11Mbps
Intrusion detection including logging, Logging: Dropped packet, security event, Syslog, Filtering: Port, IP packet, URL Keyword, MAC address
LAN: 4x RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT; Support Ethernet and 802.3 with max. bit rate 10/100/1000 Mbps and auto cross-over function(MDI-X)
Most widespread application with USB2.0 port: All-in-1 printer server and FTP files sharing; Ultra-fast and Convenient Downloads
Network Protocol: Automatic IP ,Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP

FYI. this router is single band running on 2.4ghz... No 5ghz.. So if you're looking for dual band etc, then this router is not for you.

Here's 2 threads with tons of info from dd-wrt on the asus rt-n16

http://www.dd-wrt.co...pic.php?t=61570

http://www.dd-wrt.co...pic.php?t=88118

Its a lot to read, very informative but confusing at the same time. I would probably just focus on the 2nd link.

I'd like to get a router that can do the following:

• Wireless networking.
  • Print server.
  • DNS server.
I currently have a separate printer server, and I'd like to consolidate that functionality.

Also, I like to run my own DNS server for my home network, just so I can name each of my devices and access them easily. But whenever I want to bring down my home server to update/change something, the rest of the network loses its DNS server. So I'd really like to have this functionality integrated with my router as well.

Is there such a beast? Do any routers support DNS server functionality, or do I have to install 3rd-party firmware (like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or Tomato) to obtain it?

Bonus points if the router also supports:
  • 802.11n (I'm still using 802.11g at home).
  • Gigabit ethernet ports.
  • Sharing of various other USB devices, including drives.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

1 popular router that seems to meet your requirements is the Asus rt-n16

I didn't see any mention of a DNS server. Or would that only be available if I add DD-WRT?
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

dasnufus

dasnufus

Hi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 21-December 02

1 popular router that seems to meet your requirements is the Asus rt-n16

I didn't see any mention of a DNS server. Or would that only be available if I add DD-WRT?

yes, with dd-wrt.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Thanks dasnufus. That does seem to handle everything, and Amazon's current price ($76.99) seems to be a pretty good deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users