Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

A Sign That the Upcoming Holidays Will be a Financial Joke

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
I read yesterday that locally traffic jams are less of a bite in the arse, given approxiamately 60,000 have been downsized in recent years. For me, I'm no fan of bumpers to bumpers congestation in the evening while folks buy more Chinese goods and max out the credit cards. Do note that one of the unintended consequences of being 'nice' to criminals is that your packages from Amazon may walk your porch and the UPS driver might want you be home to sign for delivery.

Best Buy cuts holiday hiring by half

Best Buy Co, the world's largest consumer electronics chain, will cut its hiring of temporary workers in the United States this holiday season by almost half compared with 2010.

The decision is further bad news for the U.S. economy and for the unemployed in particular. A quarter of the retailers surveyed by the Hay Group said they were hiring fewer seasonal workers this year and only 10 percent plan to hire more.

Best Buy is hiring only 15,000 seasonal workers this year, down from 29,000 last year, and is counting on permanent employees to work overtime to close the gap in terms of hours worked, Chief Executive Brian Dunn told Reuters in an interview on Tuesday.

He said the retailer is not counting on any help from the economy this Christmas as it sees consumers staying cautious about spending on nonessential items.

"Our plan isn't built or predicated upon a meaningful move in the economic environment," Dunn said, adding he was "cautiously optimistic" about demand levels this season.

"The consumer is being really careful about where he or she is spending the dollars, and I think that will continue through the holidays," he said.

Best Buy is counting on competitive pricing, new products like the Apple iPhone 5 and more digital and mobile advertising to bring shoppers through the door.

The efforts come as the retailer tries to make this holiday season different from the last one, when misplaced bets on items like pricey 3D televisions led to disappointing sales and earnings.

The holiday season is the biggest selling period of the year for retailers, and consumer spending accounts for about 70 percent of the U.S. economy.

To woo budget-conscious shoppers, Best Buy is promising to match any lower prices its brick-and-mortar rivals offer from November 13 through December 24, the peak of the holiday shopping season. The offer excludes the period from Thanksgiving Day on November 24 through "Cyber Monday" on November 28.

"We are mindful that people are very interested in great value," said Dunn, who expects accessories under $100, smartphones and tablets to be big sellers during the holidays.

More than a quarter of Americans expect to spend less during the holidays this year, according to a recent survey, a sign that retailers will have to try harder to win shoppers.

CHASING PHONE-WIELDING SHOPPERS

Best Buy has been facing cut-throat competition -- often on price -- from chains such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc and Internet retailers like Amazon.com Inc.

In order to win online shoppers and those who comparison-shop using their cellphones, Best Buy is "dramatically" increasing its spending on mobile and digital advertising, as well as carrying more products online, Dunn said.

"The Web is an incredibly important component of our overall strategy," said Chief Marketing Officer Barry Judge, adding that 60 percent of Best Buy customers visit the retailer's website before coming to the store.

Best Buy has now decided to offer products online from other sellers through its new third-party Marketplace, as it tries to better compete with Amazon and online auctioneer eBay Inc.

The retailer has also extended its return policy for purchases made during the holiday season, allowing shoppers to exchange gift purchases from November 13 to January 24.

Best Buy also hopes to be the destination of choice for the most sought-after gadgets this season.

Asked if the chain would carry the Amazon.com tablet expected to be launched on Wednesday, Dunn smiled and said, "We are having all the conversations you would expect us to be having."

He said he expects Apple Inc's iPhone 5 to hit stores soon. Apple is expected to launch the latest iPhone next week.

http://money.msn.com...amp;id=14318074

Edited by kas, 28 September 2011 - 05:37 AM.

Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 153,685 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Maybe Best Buy is the joke... :rolleyesold:

Survey: Expect More Holiday Jobs This Year

A new poll indicates that managers plan to fill more temp jobs this holiday season than in recent years. Here's how to land one of them.

Where I am is where I need to be...
Just Another Chicago Born & Raised Kook
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

Not MIA...just trying to figure out Windows 8!

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
IMHO, the joke is in the White House. Of course, those who are drawing nearly two years of unemployment, with the Demorats wanting to expand the time, are probably going to spend like drunken sailors.

US consumers go AWOL, taking recovery with them
Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 153,685 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Hmmm...the only times I was ever out of work against my will, a Republicant was living over to Pennsylvania Avenue...the last being Wubya himself...

Kohlís Will Increase Holiday Hiring

Meijer Plans To Hire Hundreds Of Employees For The Holidays

Edited by kar522, 05 October 2011 - 10:08 AM.

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 153,685 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Go Brown...

UPS Plans 55,000 Holiday Hires, Sees Solid Demand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users