Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

recommend new backup/sync software for me

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

dboy

dboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-February 03
Ok, I've got a windows home server backing up all our machines. However, my wife has around 600gb of photos (and growing). I exclude that from her backup, since I want to be able to restore her machine quickly if needed, and then I backup those separately. Currently I use synctoy to make 2 extra copies of all the photos. One sync is to a folder on the server, and one sync is to an external HD. I'm getting tired of synctoy. Seems to fail a lot - just discovered it hasn't actually done anything for 2 months even though it's running nightly. It's complicated a little bit by the fact that I actually have 2 external drives - I keep one at work and swap them periodically so we have some off-site backup. That just confuses the crap out of synctoy... So, what software (free is good, but I'll pay for something if it's worth it) should I use instead? With such a big collection, I want to just copy anything new each night of course. I don't need to keep old versions around or anything like that. Just nightly copy anything new to 2 other locations, and do it reliably!

Alan

Alan

Kablooie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
I've used Cobian Backup in the past and liked it.

Take a look at Download.com backup software section. I think this link will list the free versions sorted by popularity: http://download.cnet...o...&tag=narrow
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

NeoHyd

NeoHyd

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 28-February 04
I use SyncBack to backup and sync all my files. The freeware version can be downloaded from http://www.2brightsp...d-syncback.html .
I am using an older version of SyncBack software and I dont know what is missing from the freeware version of it. The version I am using gives lots of options in backing and syncing the files.

dboy

dboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-February 03
Thanks - I'm using syncback and it seems to be working great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users