Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Classmates.com Class Action Settlement (For Members 10/30/04-02/23/11)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 153,685 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
COURT-APPROVED NOTICE OF CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT

TO: All Persons residing in the United States who were registered with or subscribed to www.classmates.com (“Classmates”) at any time beginning on October 30, 2004 through February 23, 2011 (the “Settlement Class”).

IF THE COURT GIVES FINAL APPROVAL, THIS SETTLEMENT WILL AWARD YOU AN ESTIMATED $10 IN CASH, PLUS OTHER BENEFITS.
TO CLAIM YOUR CASH AWARD, YOU MUST SUBMIT A CLAIM FORM.
YOU MAY ALSO EXCLUDE YOURSELF FROM THIS LAWSUIT OR OBJECT TO THE SETTLEMENT. YOU MAY ALSO DO NOTHING, IN WHICH CASE YOU WILL STAY IN THE LAWSUIT AND GIVE UP CLAIMS AGAINST CLASSMATES, BUT RECEIVE NO CASH AWARD.
PARTICIPATING IN THIS SETTLEMENT WILL COST YOU NOTHING.
AS PART OF THE SETTLEMENT, LAWYERS FOR THE SETTLEMENT CLASS (“Class Counsel”) WILL REQUEST ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND COSTS.
THIS NOTICE ONLY SUMMARIZES THE SETTLEMENT. COMPLETE INFORMATION ON THE SETTLEMENT IS AVAILABLE AT THE SETTLEMENT WEBSITE (www.cmemailsettlement.com).
PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE COURT, CLASSMATES, OR CLASS COUNSEL. PLEASE DO NOT PRESS THE “REPLY” BUTTON TO RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL NOTICE. NO ONE WILL RESPOND TO REPLIES TO THIS EMAIL.
1. WHY DID I GET THIS SETTLEMENT NOTICE?

The court has approved this notice to tell you about a settlement in the class action lawsuit entitled In re Classmates.com Consolidated Litigation, United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, Case No. 09-45RAJ. This Settlement replaces the settlement you were notified about in 2010 (the “Prior Settlement”) because the court did not give final approval to the Prior Settlement.

2. WHAT IS THIS LAWSUIT ABOUT?

This lawsuit asserts class action claims against Classmates. Among other things, the lawsuit claims that Classmates sent e-mail to subscribers of www.classmates.com that violated the law and the privacy rights of subscribers. Classmates denies wrongdoing, but it has agreed with class representatives and Class Counsel that a settlement is appropriate. Both sides agree that because of the risks and expenses of continuing this lawsuit, this settlement is fair.

3. WHO DOES THE SETTLEMENT COVER?

As explained above, this Settlement is offered to a Settlement Class that includes:

All Persons residing in the United States who were registered with or subscribed to www.classmates.com at any time beginning on October 30, 2004 through February 23, 2011.

If you have questions about whether you were correctly identified as a Settlement Class member, please contact the Settlement Administrator at the address in Section 5 below.

4. WHAT WILL THE SETTLEMENT GIVE ME?

Each Settlement Class member who submits a valid Claim Form will receive a cash award (payable via PayPal or via physical check). The amount of the cash award cannot be determined in advance, but is estimated to be $10 for each Settlement Class member.

The cash award will be determined by dividing the $2.5 million that Classmates has agreed to pay by the number of Settlement Class members who submit valid Claim Forms. For example, if 250,000 class members submit valid Claim Forms, each will receive $10. As another example, if 500,000 class members submit valid Claim Forms, each will receive $5. There are as many as 60 million Settlement Class members. Based on the participation rates in the Prior Settlement, it is estimated that each participating Settlement Class member will receive about $10. This is only an estimate, no one knows in advance how much this settlement will pay each claimant, and no one will know until the deadline for submitting claims passes.

In addition to the cash award, the Settlement will require Classmates to change certain business practices for two years. Among other things, Classmates will no longer use the term “guestbook” as a stand-alone term in the subject line of the emails it sends to its subscribers, but will instead call it “Classmates® Guestbook”. The “Classmates® Guestbook” feature will be described in the footer of those emails as follows:

WHAT IS CLASSMATES® GUESTBOOK?: When most Classmates members visit your profile, their names will automatically be listed in your Classmates® Guestbook. Any member can leave their name in any other member’s Classmates® Guestbook simply by visiting that member’s profile, so you might not know everyone who signed yours. For more information, see our Classmates® Guestbook Help Article.

A complete description of the business practices that Classmates has agreed to change is at the Settlement Website (www.cmemailsettlement.com).

5. HOW DO I GET THE CASH AWARD?

To receive a cash award, you must submit a valid Claim Form no later than November 18, 2011. You may submit a Claim Form online. To access the Claim Form, click this link.

Claim Form

Settlement Class Members must submit a valid Claim Form by November 18, 2011 to receive a cash payment.

The cash award will be determined by dividing the $2.5 million that Classmates has agreed to pay by the number of Settlement Class members who submit valid Claim Forms. For example, if 250,000 class members submit valid Claim Forms, each will receive $10. As another example, if 500,000 class members submit valid Claim Forms, each will receive $5. There are as many as 60 million Settlement Class members. Based on the participation rates in the Prior Settlement, it is estimated that each participating Settlement Class member will receive about $10. This is only an estimate, no one knows in advance how much this Settlement will pay each claimant, and no one will know until the deadline for submitting claims passes.

If you are visiting this site for the first time, please enter below the Claim and Control numbers that were in your personalized Notice of Settlement email. If you believe you are a member of the Settlement Class and you did not receive a notification email by October 18, 2011, please email the Settlement Administrator at claimforms@cmemailsettlement.com or write to the Settlement Administrator to request a Notice and Claim Form.

I did get those annoying emails...

Your Claim was filed at 08:22:00 AM PDT on August 20, 2011.

Edited by kar522, 20 August 2011 - 07:28 AM.

Where I am is where I need to be...
Just Another Chicago Born & Raised Kook
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

Not MIA...just trying to figure out Windows 8!

WingsOverVA

WingsOverVA

Licensed Pilot & Resident Bird Brain

• 11,055 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Joined 28-December 02
I just got this email today as well. I am registered at Classmates but have never paid them any money to become a paid subscriber but my read of the class action is that being registered is all it takes to be a member of the class.
To Frank Lynn Sikes 1958-2008

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 153,685 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

I am registered at Classmates but have never paid them any money to become a paid subscriber but my read of the class action is that being registered is all it takes to be a member of the class.

I have never paid either...they would send emails saying someone had signed your guestbook, but the only way you could see the guestbook was if you paid...

Back about 6 years ago our HS had a really active forum...then they decided you couldn't post (just read), if you didn't join...it died quickly...they changed back, but it was too late...I think there have been 4 posts all month, and they're asking where everyone is...now we're on FB...

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
I could swear my membership was under a long lost email addresss. If 10% or more of the settlement class wants payment, I figure it will cost more to mail the envelope then what on the check. I'm not even taking in consideration the labor that will be necessary. The clowns who brought this laughable suit might each receive $2500 and that before taxes. Yes, the lawyers win again.
Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 153,685 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

Yes, the lawyers win again.

If I get $5, I'll be happy...I am a registered member, and their nearly daily emails majorly annoyed me...Winner, winner, chicken dinner...-chick-

Posted Image

$4.99 with coupon...

2 Pieces of Chicken (Breast & Wing)
Original Recipe®, Grilled, Extra Crispy™ or Mixed
1 Individual Mashed Potatoes with Gravy
1 Individual Cole Slaw
1 Baked Biscuit

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 153,685 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Up for the interested or annoyed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users