Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Walgreens In The News

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 149,408 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
From today's Trib...

Walgreens To Expand Fresh Food Offerings At Stores

By Bruce Japsen
Posted yesterday at 5:36 p.m.

Walgreen Co. plans to expand its fresh food offerings in several hundred stores in coming years, company chief executive officer Greg Wasson told shareholders this afternoon. Addressing 2,500 shareholders at the company’s annual meeting at Navy Pier on Chicago’s lakefront, Wasson said such stores fit the company’s strategy to evolve from a “retail drugstore to a retail ‘health and daily living store.’” Walgreen Co., which offers more and more health and wellness needs, began to test out fresh foods such as fruits and vegetables last year, particularly in poor urban markets where access to healthy food choices is a problem. “Our intent is to own outright the strategic territory of ‘well,’” Wasson told shareholders. “Our goal is to help people live well, stay well and get well.”

The Deerfield-based drug store chain unveiled its first fresh-food format in August at its 67th Street and Stony Island Avenue store on Chicago’s South Side, the culmination of a year-long effort to bring groceries to the city’s food deserts. The fresh foods go beyond convenience items that Walgreens has carried for years, such as milk and orange juice. The test stores offer more than 750 new products, including fresh fruits and vegetables, frozen meat and fish, pasta, rice, beans, eggs and whole-grain cereals. There are 10 such stores in Chicago.

Meeting with reporters after the shareholders meeting, Wasson said all of the company’s stores across the country would be getting more fresh foods but the company was specifically targeting 300 to 500 markets across the country where there is potential to offer new products in so-called “food deserts,” areas of the country that lack supermarkets and access to fresh foods. Expansion will vary by store and location, Wasson said. Before Walgreens can implement a large scale expansion, Wasson said the company needed to upgrade its “supply chain infrastructure.”

Walgreens executives say the fresh foods fits the company’s strategy, which will also include stepping up efforts to expand health care services in areas that “don’t have access to medical services,” said Walgreens president of pharmacy services Kermit Crawford. For example, Crawford said Walgreens will continue to expand the menu of vaccines offered at its pharmacies beyond seasonal flu vaccinations. The company now has 26,000 pharmacists that are certified in states across the country as immunizers. In recent years, Walgreens has lobbied state public health departments to get regulatory approval for its pharmacists to immunize consumers with a variety of vaccines. This, Crawford says, is a strategy that will be more in demand given the nation’s shortage of primary care physicians. “Somebody has to fill that space,” Crawford told the Tribune after the shareholders meeting.

Story

Where I am is where I need to be...
Just Another Chicago Born & Raised Kook
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

Not MIA...just trying to figure out Windows 8!

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
IMHO, Wags would be far better financially pushing various 24 ozers instead of rabbit food in these "food deserts". When the weather is good, the street out front will get me to I-70 by driving north. Yes, I will pass three grocery stores, including a Schnucks, plug a Wags; but I alos will see couple snow cone vendors on the street and one or two folks selling BBQ ribs straight from a 55 gal. smoker.
Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03

Walgreen to spend about $429M for drugstore.com

Drugstore operator Walgreen Co. says it will spend about $429 million to buy online retailer drugstore.com in a deal that gives it access to 3 million online customers.

The largest U.S. drugstore operator will give drugstore.com shareholders $3.80 in cash for each share of stock in a deal it expects to close by the end of June.

The acquisition will add about 60,000 products to Walgreen's online offerings, and the company says it will significantly speed up its online strategy.

The per-share deal price represents a premium of 113 percent over the $1.79 closing price of drugstore.com's stock on Wednesday.

Walgreen says it will fund the deal with existing cash. Drugstore.com shareholders still must approve the acquisition, but the Bellevue, Wash., company's board has already unanimously approved it.

http://hosted.ap.org...-03-24-08-45-25
Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 149,408 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

Drugstore drama: The Old Ways No Longer Work For Walgreen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

LisaHS

LisaHS

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 27-May 05
Wow! That was all that I ever wanted to know about Wags... and then some!

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 149,408 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Walgreens Will Sell Health Insurance

So says a news report. As a result of health care reform, plenty of companies that don't sell insurance plan to start.

I wonder if they'll generate RRs... :rolleyesold:

Edited by kar522, 11 August 2011 - 03:42 AM.

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
I'm more incline to think that a discount will given on the premiums by providing your AARP number.
Build the Border Fence

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 149,408 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Nice! Touch Comes To Walgreens Shelves As Store Brands Get Makeover

400 items scheduled for rollout in coming months at all 7,742 drugstores owned company

Edited by kar522, 30 October 2011 - 10:23 PM.

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
I looked at a couple Nice items the other day. The boxes that contain dried fruit look the same size as the old packages, except the net weight has decreased. Hopefully, the 'old' stuff is put on clearance.
Build the Border Fence

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 149,408 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Walgreen Guides Provide Real-Time Solutions, Referrals To Customers

LisaHS

LisaHS

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 27-May 05
-doctor- Kewl!

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 149,408 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

Walgreens to Launch No-Name Line

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 149,408 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Walgreen Co. To Close 76 Unprofitable Stores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users