Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fixing relatives' computers, oh what joy...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

dboy

dboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-February 03
Visited the inlaws over the holidays. Just have to share the craziness... First off, my father in law is the VP of IT at [redacted] - let's just say a company that you have certainly heard of. Second, a couple years ago their hard drive died and the lost a ton of stuff - pictures, etc - since they had no backups. They had me pick out a new machine for them, so I got a decent (at the time) Dell laptop and set it up w/ an external drive to do nightly backups. Oh, and added a USB hub since the laptop only had 2 USB ports but they had wireless keyboard/mouse, the HD, printer, digital camera to hook up. Forward to now... while there, my MIL complained that her internet was so slow. We were using our laptop on their wifi and had no issues, so I suspected her machine. Went over to check it out and about crapped my pants. First, the backup drive was disconnected. Turns out it's been disconnected since July and she'd just been ignoring the daily "backup failed" message. Second, she had so many toolbars installed in IE that half the screen was gone. Third, I see several antivirus and antispyware icons in the system tray. So I start digging. The first antivirus I looked at (something I'd never heard of, but it had a red flashing icon so I figured it might be important to look at) said there were 469 viruses detected. Well, actually not. It was counting ad-related cookies as problems. closed it and looked at Norton. It wasn't actually doing anything since it had expired. Closed it and looked at AVG. It said 1 trojan found, and it appeared to be a beast. Forget the name, but a quick google said that no AV could get rid of it, but kapersky had a little program that would - but with the side effect of sometimes making the computer not boot. Closed AVG. Uninstalled all 3 AVs (since AVG was old and nagging to pay) and installed MSE. Also uninstalled all the toolbars. First ran a full backup to be safe. That took a few hours. Then stared MSE doing a full scan and went to bed. Next morning MSE was just showing the one trojan. Let it try removing it, but no dice. So then I ran the kapersky tool and rebooted. Trojan gone. Made sure everything was conencted to the USB hub so she only had 1 cable to mess with when they took the laptop anywhere and told her to quit installing stuff. Later that day she asked if we had a Citi bank account. I said we did, but why? Answered that she'd just gotten an email about an account problem but they didnt' have a citi account so wondered if it could be about us. -bang-!

Monga

Monga

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,016 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 06-February 03
-lol-
You'll be missed, HarleyD.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,279 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
-console-
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

NARC

NARC

Arresting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-February 03
oh dboy, I'm so sorry. You set up remote access so that you don't have to be there for the next time they have questions, right?

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,279 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Or better yet, setup a VM and have it reset back to a known good state every time they logoff or reboot.
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

NARC

NARC

Arresting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-February 03
lol, that would work

TheDiggler

TheDiggler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 19-April 03
Switch their user account to a non-Administrative account. They won't be able to install software anymore, which should severely limit their ability to F things up. :)

crimson

crimson

evil little piggy & tease?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,079 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • Joined 09-June 03

Switch their user account to a non-Administrative account. They won't be able to install software anymore, which should severely limit their ability to F things up. :)

This! I did this to my folks, they haven't noticed the difference, and it alleviated a ton of headaches for me. :p
Equal rights for all in every state

penguin110

penguin110

Legal Eagle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Joined 03-January 04
Reminds me of the times (fondly now) that I had to run over and help my father (rest in peace) with computer issues.
user posted image

Ground Control to Major Tom. Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me, Major Tom?

Alan

Alan

Kablooie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
-lol- -lol- -lol- Par for the course. dboy, next time also boot off of a Live CD and let it scan the system. Rootkits will not be found when scanning from within Windows. Many vendors have free Live CD's which are bootable anti-virus/malware/trojan scanners. The one's I typically use are AVG, F-Secure, Kaspersky and, my favorite, Dr. Web.
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

BlueTDimly

BlueTDimly

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,775 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 27-December 02
You need one of these:
http://lh6.googleuse...Q1BT5=s180?.jpg
Who's to say / I can't do everything, well I can try... - JJ

steltek

steltek

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 13-August 03

Later that day she asked if we had a Citi bank account. I said we did, but why? Answered that she'd just gotten an email about an account problem but they didnt' have a citi account so wondered if it could be about us. -bang-!

Hopefully she will remember you when she gets the happy news via email that she's won millions in the Nigerian National Lottery! -mango-

dasnufus

dasnufus

Hi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 21-December 02
limited user acct + remote access = less headaches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users