Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

9 Companies On The Ropes In 2011

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Alan

Alan

Kablooie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
I think it sucks that bookstores, video stores & music stores are closing. But, how can they compete with the instant gratification, ease of purchase and cost difference of an electronic purchase? A company I do work for just hired some people in their mid 20's. They're all digitally connected with their smartphones, tablets, laptops & desktops. Print media (books, newspapers) and hard media (DVDs, CDs) aren't a part of their lives.
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Alan

Alan

Kablooie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

Some of these have been discussed...some are new...

10 Retailers Shuttering Stores

Some of these chains are dead, some are dying and some are reinventing themselves to survive -- but their convenient locations near you are vanishing fast.

Quiznos is on that list. I read a report that 30% of their stores have closed over the past few years (just about every Quiznos near me closed) and the parent company is about to default on its debt. A NYT article quoted a Quiznos franchisee as saying the only way he is staying in business is by purchasing his supplies at Costco which is cheaper than buying from Quiznos distributors. Think - when's the last time you've seen a Quiznos ad? Their advertising budget must be near rock bottom.
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Ahead of the Bell: Barnes & Noble and Liberty

Associated Press, 08.19.11, 08:57 AM EDT

NEW YORK --

Liberty Media's decision to scrap its $1 billion bid to buy bookseller Barnes & Noble and invest $204 million instead is a better move for longtime shareholders, an analyst said Friday. On Thursday, Barnes & Noble Inc. said Liberty Media, the conglomerate controlled by John Malone, bought preferred stock convertible into about 12 million Barnes & Noble shares at $17 apiece, giving it about a 17 percent stake in the company. It will also gain two board seats. Barnes & Nobles shares rose 32 cents, or 2.7 percent, to $12.41 in premarket trading Friday. The deal was announced Thursday afternoon after the market closed.

In May, Liberty Media Corp. offered to buy all of Barnes & Noble, apparently enticed by the potential of the company's Nook electronic reader. But Barnes & Noble said the takeover talks had been ditched in light of the investment agreement unveiled Thursday. The deal is a good one for long-term investors because it will help Barnes & Noble invest in e-books and the Nook, said Janney Capital Markets analyst David Strasser.

"The liquidity from this investment will help Barnes & Noble drive market share in the e-book category," he said. "It will also allow them to develop and market new Nook products to attract new customers." He rates the company "Buy."

Where I am is where I need to be...
Just Another Chicago Born & Raised Kook
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

AT&T just bought T-Mobile this morning.

Skeptical Senators Grill Chiefs Of AT&T And T-Mobile About Proposed Merger

Several senators warn that the merger would push the U.S. wireless industry toward the type of monopoly that the old AT&T monopoly, often called Ma Bell, once had on the land-line phone business

U.S. Will Block AT&T's Merger With T-Mobile
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Borders’ Claim That Its Customer Names Were Stolen Could Mar Asset Sale

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Kodak Denies Bankruptcy Plan But Shares Plummet

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Dear Borders Customer,

My name is William Lynch, CEO of Barnes & Noble, and I'm writing to you today on behalf of the entire B&N team to make you aware of important information regarding your Borders account.

First of all let me say Barnes & Noble uniquely appreciates the importance bookstores play within local communities, and we're very sorry your Borders store closed.

As part of Borders ceasing operations, we acquired some of its assets including Borders brand trademarks and their customer list. The subject matter of your DVD and other video purchases will be part of the transferred information. The federal bankruptcy court approved this sale on September 26, 2011.

Our intent in buying the Borders customer list is simply to try and earn your business. The majority of our stores are within close proximity to former Borders store locations, and for those that aren't, we offer our award- winning NOOK™ digital reading devices that provide a bookstore in your pocket. We are readers like you, and hope that through our stores, NOOK devices, and our bn.com online bookstore we can win your trust and provide you with a place to read and shop.

It's important for you to understand however you have the absolute right to opt-out of having your customer data transferred to Barnes & Noble. If you would like to opt-out, we will ensure all your data we receive from Borders is disposed of in a secure and confidential manner. Please visit www.bn.com/borders before October 15, 2011 to do so.

Should you choose not to opt-out by October 15, 2011, be assured your information will be covered under the Barnes & Noble privacy policy, which can be accessed at www.bn.com/privacy. B&N will maintain any of your data according to this policy and our strict privacy standards.

At Barnes & Noble we share your love of books — whatever shape they take. We also take our responsibility to service communities by providing a local bookstore very seriously. In the coming weeks, assuming you don't opt-out, you'll be hearing from us with some offers to encourage you to shop our stores and try our NOOK products. We hope you'll give us a chance to be your bookstore.

Posted Image

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

In Kodak's Troubles, A Snapshot Of An Icon's Fall

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Sears' Desperate Hail Mary Plan

The struggling retailer wants to allow competitors to sell its most valuable brands. Smart move or disaster in the making?

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
Watch for one of those evil billionaires, e.g. Warren, to begin buying large blocks of stocks. Word is that AMR has not spent capital replacing airplanes.

American Airlines files for bankruptcy protection
Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Kardashian Can't Save Sears

Superstar collections fail to bring in the crowds as the deparment store continues to struggle.

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
Word elsewhere is that one state is attempting to bribe one company on the list to relocate it HQ.

Edited by kas, 06 December 2011 - 10:07 PM.

Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 146,050 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

Word elsewhere is that one state is attempting to bribe one company on the list to relocate it HQ.

Sheesh...it's not like it's a state secret or anything...why so vague??? Oh well, it's kind of common knowledge for the Chicago newsreaders or the stockholders...If it were me, I'd take the money and run...

Ohio Said To Offer $400M To Lure Sears

The source I came across has OH Gov. John Kasich ® stating that he believed that Sears is not serious. In his opinion, the company is more interested in using the offer to get more concessions from the state of IL. Given each day more cities and towns in OH must layoff employees to meet budget, Sears Holdings management might be better calling the office of Gov. Perry.

So why don't you cite it in the first place instead of playing the vague game...

Edited by kar522, 13 December 2011 - 12:59 AM.

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03

Sheesh...it's not like it's a state secret or anything...why so vague??? Oh well, it's kind of common knowledge for the Chicago newsreaders or the stockholders...If it were me, I'd take the money and run...

Ohio Said To Offer $400M To Lure Sears

The source I came across has OH Gov. John Kasich ® stating that he believed that Sears is not serious. In his opinion, the company is more interested in using the offer to get more concessions from the state of IL. Given each day more cities and towns in OH must layoff employees to meet budget, Sears Holdings management might be better calling the office of Gov. Perry.
Build the Border Fence

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
So you wonder what the bribe is, I meant the concession that IL officials are offering? Do note, these millions come from taxpayers.

Illinois House poised to try again on $300M tax break for Sears & others

Illinois legislators are back in Springfield today and tomorrow to take another pass at an idea that has already gone down in flames once in a lopsided House vote: extending special tax breaks to Sears and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange to prevent them from leaving the state.

The two Illinois-based companies are threatening to leave, and take their jobs with them, if they don't get some special consideration in the wake of Illinois' new 67-percent income tax hike imposed last year, which hit corporations as well as individuals.

Gov. Pat Quinn pushed the tax hike through on the argument that the state simply had to address its crushing budget deficit. But now the threatened loss of jobs has got him and others backpedaling. What's on the table now is a $300 million-a-year tax-relief plan that would go mostly to the two Chicago-area behemoths, with some of the leftover money passed around to others.

Supporters call the tax-credit package a "jobs plan." Detractors are calling it blackmail.

"This is not a, quote, `giveaway,' '' insisted state Rep. John Bradley, D-Marion. Which is, of course, the kind of thing you say when you're defending a giveaway. The package is, by definition, a special consideration for companies that are large enough to demand it while smaller companies can't—a fact pointed about by several "Occupy Wall Street" types who testified against the deal in committee just now.

To make the deal more politically palatable, Quinn et al have offered a few bones to downstaters and individual taxpayers. They're bumping up the $2,000 personal exemption that all Illinoisans take on their state income taxes, raising it by $50 next year and tying future increases to the rate of inflation.

They're also upping the state's earned income tax credit paid by low-income workers. In addition, they're extending $3.5 million in tax breaks to Champion Laboratories Inc. in southeastern Illinois.

A similar package lost in the House recently on a 99-8 vote. Why might this one do better? Because they're divided up the different elements of it, so individual lawmakers can support some parts without having to support it all. All sides are indicating they've worked out the math and that it will all pass.

(Prediction: The corporate tax-cut thing will get put over the top by the Republicans, while Dems will carry the earned-income tax credit pretty much by themselves.)

Assuming it passes the House this afternoon, the Senate will take it up tomorrow.

http://www.stltoday....1a4bcf6878.html
Build the Border Fence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users