Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Any good stories from Black Friday this year? and what did you buy?

24 replies to this topic

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Joined 23-December 02
Any good stories from Black Friday this year? and what did you buy?

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,279 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
I woke up. Ate breakfast. Got on the computer. Didn't buy anything. Quite relaxing. :)
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

bizema4

bizema4

I forgot what I was supposed to Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 09-June 03
Garsh, -lol- Woke up. Drank coffee. Looked at specials and asked, "Do I really NEED this?" Wished I had more money. Resolved that I have all I NEED and stopped torturing myself :D
RIP HarleyD

NARC

NARC

Arresting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-February 03
Heh, same as garsh and Biz for me. I'm a little under the weather anyway, but I didn't see anything that I really needed.

mydeal

mydeal

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 21-February 03

I woke up.
Ate breakfast.
Got on the computer.
Didn't buy anything.

Quite relaxing. :)

ditto

Nack

Nack

The Florida LitiGator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,653 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
The fridge at the condo on the river died sometime over the past couple weeks (I don't know exactly when, because the guy staying there (rent free) did not bother to call me, and let my food rot). The ice maker was already broke, and now the appliance stopped cooling properly - the freezer side is about like a fridge, and the fridge is about room temerature(which means the heater on the freezer side broke and the freezer has iced up in the back, which is a $250 fix for the part and installation, in addition to the icemaker). I was told by a knowledgeable appliance repair man that General Electric uses a cheaper heater coil for the new production, and then sells a good repair part superior to the heater coil used to manufacture it new. This exact same thing happened to a family member about a year ago on a mechanically identical GE fridge. I've bought my last General Electric refrigerator. Luckily, it decided to die just before Black Friday. Anyway, I went to Lowe's this morning when the store opened, and got the door buster Whirlpool 25.1 cubic ft side by side refrigerator with ice and water dispenser in the door. It was $798 - $250 MIR = $548. Of course, I used a 10% moving coupon, and got the fridge for $718.20 - $250 MIR = $468.20 + tax. Delivery and haul away of the old fridge is free. I also picked up some LED MagLites while I was there (I needed a couple, and they make great Christmas gifts). I then ate breakfast at a local place, and went over to a family member's house. That is really all I did for Black Friday this year. Right now, I am over at that family member's house supervising the installation of Dish Network (which is a cluster as expected, but it's getting done).

Edited by Nack, 27 November 2009 - 07:45 AM.

RIP HarleyD

gametalent

gametalent

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Same as garsh. This year black friday deals dont excite me anymore.

TheDiggler

TheDiggler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 19-April 03
Wasn't planning on getting anything... then I logged in here and saw this thread:
Eaton Pulsar Ellipse 1200 USBS 1200VA/780W 120V 7-Outlet Tower UPS, $29.99

Pulled the trigger on that deal (qty 3 for free S&H) while it lasted... -duh-

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
These newlyweds should had some of their kids in line to score more BB bargains. Hey, my old man use to do it us all the time to get the better of the grocery stores.

http://www.msnbc.msn...4...2

Edited by kas, 27 November 2009 - 11:46 AM.

Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

tonyad

tonyad

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 28-November 05
We ended up arriving at Walmart at 11:00 pm last night and shopped until 6am this morning and it's a good thing we did or we would have missed all the deals considering Walmart opened all the skids of items early this year(11pm) (except 4 high end electronics). I bought everything I headed out for!!! -lol-

Waddle

Waddle

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
did my shopping on amazon...since they matched the price on a lot of the competitors sales.
RIP HarleyD

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 147,942 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
I babysat for the local grandkids as their mom left @ 10:30 last night to shop in Cedar Rapids...she got home @ 11AM this morning...DK what she bought...DS said she went straight to bed...DH bought a pair of $90 boots for $30 at Theissen's this morning...local seed & feed place...that's it... :)

Where I am is where I need to be...
Just Another Chicago Born & Raised Kook
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

Not MIA...just trying to figure out Windows 8!

NeoHyd

NeoHyd

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 28-February 04
Woke up at 5.00 am, thought of going to Staples to get the free Duracell batteries (after rewards check) and FAR stuff to spend my previous staples rewards check, but the FAR calculator and Duracell batteries were available online, so ordered online and went to bed.

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Joined 23-December 02
bought a little stuff at amazon this morning. Just got back from Lowes and Home depot. Stopped there since I was out running some errands. Lowes still had a lot of their BF stuff available. They still probably had at least a half dozen shop vacs. Place was loaded with employees all over the place asking if you wanted help with something. Home Depot on the other hand was pretty much cleared out and very lightly staffed.

dwagnfly

dwagnfly

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 08-December 04
Sent DH to Gamestop at 6am to pick up a Wii Sports Resort w/ extra controller. I tried to shop a bunch of sites last night but there wasn't anything that thrilled me except Amazon. I then slept in til 10 then went over to Walmart to see what all the fuss was about. Ended up buying a bunch of dvd's for $2 and $5 each. But couldn't find Hotel For Dogs, oh well, maybe Amazon will have a good deal on it or my dd can just wait til next year or when it comes on t.v. I was glad that I slept in as most of the movies were still there that I wanted. DH took DD to Claires where she was happy to spend $20 and get a tiny little stuffed animal for her Black Friday bonus and then gave me a coupon for $10 off $20 so I can go and buy her some stuff (she hopes), that was nice of her to pay full price for her sister and my gifts and then share her coupon with Mom. I had given her a $5 off $20 coupon to use but she just didn't use it. And her Dad and her are exceptionally good at math but not coupon math, hmmmm..... Coupons are money you two! Oh well.

wurlybird9

wurlybird9

refurbished member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-July 03
I bought stuff like batteries and UPS, that don't depreciate quickly. They pretty much stay the same. Have already seen good deals on Pre BF sales. Some items have really been dropping fast.
A retart is a refurbished pastry.

Monga

Monga

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,016 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 06-February 03
I woke at 4:15, got to Target at 5:16, the parking lot was FULL! People were already coming out holding their new big screen TVs. I got a few things, some of the items I wanted were already gone. All the $3.00 small appliances were impossible to get. People were waiting in line at the end of the store just to get those, and the store didn't have enough. The lines were short, almost all the checkstands were open. Went next door to Staples, got the FAR stuff, thought about the Bluetooth while I was in line to pay, tried to get it, and it was already gone... stupid Staples, only 3 cash registers open. Went home, unloaded the car, went to Walmart. Filled up 2 carts with a variety of things, I think I was the last to get the $7.00 30 piece rubbermaid set. Went to Kohls to get some toys, of course they didn't have enough carts for all the shoppers there. They only had 6 cashiers for the wholes store. The line to pay wrapped around the store several times. I waited 90 minutes to pay. It will be the last time I go to Kohls on BF. Those people think customers have nothing better to do on that day... I've never seen such poor planning. I may do some online shopping during the weekend...
You'll be missed, HarleyD.

Alan

Alan

Kablooie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Wait a sec, Black Friday was yesterday? Oh crap, I slept through it. How did that happen? :p -lol-
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

mydeal

mydeal

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 21-February 03

Wait a sec, Black Friday was yesterday? Oh crap, I slept through it. How did that happen? :p -lol-

-lol- -lol- -lol-

carloscai

carloscai

Gold-Box-er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,702 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 09-February 03
I took my mom out for her BF shoppaganza. Nothing really special. First we hit BestBuy at 5am and was at the tail of the line, waited in the rain for 40mins before they let us in. Bought nothing. When we were waiting for Staples to open mom decided to go to BabiesRUs. She kept complaining when I didn't give her any grandchildren to buy things to. -bang- Thank God Staples opened on time! I got in to buy the batteries and a Microsoft 6000 wireless mouse ($19.99)for the lady's new laptop. The rest of the morning was me carrying a lot of shopping bags in Sears and Macy's. I got a new shirt and a new pair of Lee jeans. Not bad. Except that I really hate BabiesRUs now.
I will miss you, HarleyD.

Alan

Alan

Kablooie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

When we were waiting for Staples to open mom decided to go to BabiesRUs. She kept complaining when I didn't give her any grandchildren to buy things to. -bang-

Ha ha, that really made me laugh -lol-
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

bunnys

bunnys

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 26-April 07
The sales this year were a joke.I just stayed home and dreamed of the old days and the great sales they used to have.

angielovesjohn

angielovesjohn

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 23-March 05
Even though I wasn't much into BF this year, I still got up at 2:30 am and met my BFF at Kohl's at 3 am to wait in line for opening. I got a lot of good deals on clothes for my two dd's other than that nothing else. Got home at 5:30 am and couldn't find my house keys! My fiance works 3rd shift so he wasn't due home for a couple of hours. So I had to take one of the hangers off of the clothes I bought and reach over the gate to open it so I could get in throught the garage! My dogs were barking up a storm and I thought my neighbors were going to come outside and find me breaking into my own house!! -blush-

Edited by angielovesjohn, 28 November 2009 - 11:31 PM.

catfishhunters99

catfishhunters99

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 29-November 05
I woke up at 140, and was showered, shaved and online by 2 AM. My plan was to try and nail a netbook and a laptop without standing in the Worst Buy line. At 3:07 Newegg dropped the price on an Asus laptop from $549 to $399. Nailed it and a Samsung netbook, with no interest for six months plus free shipping. Having taken care of the primary task, I surfed around checking out deals until time to head to Home Depot and pick up five 99 cent Poinsettias. Then it was back home to play lightning deals on Amazon and kick back. All in all a very relaxing day, with no long lines in the rain.

vipra

vipra

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 20-November 04
We headed out at 4:00 am with 2 kids, luckily they weren't cranky when we woke'em up in the middle of the night. We went to sears, didn't buy a thing there, then Macys, got some jeans, crystalware, steel soup pot, mattress pad etc using 10$ off $25. Hubby went to Kohls to get the Hard anodised cookware set (its going back since the pots aren't thick enough). We'd our breakfast in the mall, then bot the nice pillows on sale at JCPenney, then bought some toys for kids as promised at Toys r us and walmart(luckily we've toysrus n walmart in the same mall). on the way back home we stopped at oldnavy to buy the $5 fleece. We were pretty much exhausted by the time we got back.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users