Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why can't I print to a shared network printer anymore?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

WingsOverVA

WingsOverVA

Licensed Pilot & Resident Bird Brain

• 11,048 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Joined 28-December 02
My kids computer uses the printer attached to my computer for printing. It has worked fine ever since I installed the Dlink 614+ and with Alan's (and other BS'ers) help set up the network. Last night my wife was trying to print out a presentation for her nursing class and kept getting an error that said the printer was either not connected or was turned off. When I went to see what was going on I found that their computer seems to think that the spooler service is not running. System Config utility shows Print spooler service as running, and task manager shows SPOOLSV.EXE as a running process as well. Spooler subsystem app has access configured under Zone Alarm on both machines. Both machines are Dells running XP home. When I go into printers in control panel on their machine it shows my printer. When I click on it the primter window opens but says "Unable to conect". If I click on Printer Properties an error window opens that says "Printer properties - cannot be displayed. The print spooler service is not running." What happened, and why can I no longer send print jobs to my printer? Note that my 3 year old has been doing a lot of experimenting lately, but he uses his own account which does not have admin access.
To Frank Lynn Sikes 1958-2008

redolsnake

redolsnake

ilymsa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 07-May 03
is the print spooler service running on both computers? One thing you might try and do, is unshare the printer from the computer its attached to, share it under a different share name, and try to connect to it from the other computer.
I look no further for love, for I have an angel in my life. My angel will see me through life, provide me with more love than I could ever wish for, and always keep me happy.

Frank

Frank

Poker fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 11-February 03

My kids computer uses the printer attached to my computer for printing. It has worked fine ever since I installed the Dlink 614+ and with Alan's (and other BS'ers) help set up the network. Last night my wife was trying to print out a presentation for her nursing class and kept getting an error that said the printer was either not connected or was turned off. When I went to see what was going on I found that their computer seems to think that the spooler service is not running.

System Config utility shows Print spooler service as running, and task manager shows SPOOLSV.EXE as a running process as well.

Spooler subsystem app has access configured under Zone Alarm on both machines.

Both machines are Dells running XP home.

When I go into printers in control panel on their machine it shows my printer. When I click on it the primter window opens but says "Unable to conect".

If I click on Printer Properties an error window opens that says "Printer properties - cannot be displayed. The print spooler service is not running."

What happened, and why can I no longer send print jobs to my printer?

Note that my 3 year old has been doing a lot of experimenting lately, but he uses his own account which does not have admin access.

I don't know what exactly happened, but I ran into a similar problem with my Epson 880 a couple of weeks back. Basically, I had the same problem except that I COULD see the spooler. Heck, I could see jobs from both computers, cancel the jobs from both computers; I just couldn't PRINT from the computer that wasn't directly hooked up to the printer. Tried everything I could to troubleshoot it. Eventually, I just deleted everything (printers and drivers) and re-installed my drivers and set up my printers and it worked again.

You might want to try redol's suggestion before you do that, though. Also, you might want to check if there're new drivers for your printer. I think I installed an updated version of the drivers for that printer also though I thought I had installed them over the previous drivers -doctor-. BTW, the shared printer was off of a 2000 computer, while the computer I tried printing off of was an XP Home.

Wish I could give you more advice than that -console-.

Ed: for clarity

F

Edited by Frank, 17 October 2003 - 05:56 PM.

Alan

Alan

Kablooie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,732 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

is the print spooler service running on both computers?

One thing you might try and do, is unshare the printer from the computer its attached to, share it under a different share name, and try to connect to it from the other computer.

That's the first thing I would suggest too.
I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

WingsOverVA

WingsOverVA

Licensed Pilot & Resident Bird Brain

• 11,048 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Joined 28-December 02
I tried what you guys suggested, but it didn't work. I decided to go back to the beggining and looked up Alan's reply from when I initially set up the network. It turns out that I recently updated Zone Alarm on both computers and for some reason the update eliminated my computer from the trusted zone on the kids computer, but did not eliminate theirs from mine. I'm not sure why this happened. But I found it by shutting down ZA on both and found that everything worked again. I opened ZA on mine and everything worked, but as soon as I opened ZA on the kids it messed up again. I started comparing settings in ZA on both machines and that's when I found the missing entry in the Firewall/Zones on the kids machine. I added mine to theirs and we're back in business. Not only that but I got a lot of exercise in the process, my office is in the basement and their setup is upstairs.
To Frank Lynn Sikes 1958-2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users