Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gas Saving Tips

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

AMS

AMS

Angel

• Platinum Member
  • 30,941 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 26-December 02
Giant eagle
A happy wife is a happy life

wtf

wtf

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 30-January 03
Apparently at Kroger you can earn fuel rewards with purchase of GCs.

TheDiggler

TheDiggler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 19-April 03
Can't believe nobody's post the most cost effective tip yet: Send the country into a deep recession, gas prices will fall on their own!!! -hiding- -duh-

AMS

AMS

Angel

• Platinum Member
  • 30,941 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 26-December 02
Fry's foods

Fry’s Fuel Rewards

How do I accumulate my Fuel Rewards?
Simply Spend $100 on qualifying grocery purchases. For every $100 you spend in a calendar month, you earn a total of .10 (cents) off per gallon (up to 20 gallons) on your next fuel fill-up at any of our Fry’s Fuel Center Locations. Limit (1) fuel discount per customer, per vehicle, per fuel fill-up.

Customers can earn multiple rewards for every $100 spent. Offers cannot be stacked or doubled. They must be used in separate purchases or trips.

Where I check how much points I accumulated?
There are 3 ways you can check your point accumulation.
1) At www.frysfood.com
2) Calling us at 1-800-828-5235 Option 5
3) If you shop at a store that has a fuel location it will show at the bottom of your receipt.

How do I redeem my Fuel rewards?
Scan your Fry’s V.I.P card or Fry’s 1-2-3 Rewards Mastercard under the barcode reader on the front of the fuel pump. You may also enter your Alternate ID and it will deliver the fuel discount. The pump price will automatically roll back a total of .10 (cents) on all grades.

1-2-3 Rewards Fry’s MasterCard members will receive a total of .15 (cents) off per gallon discount on all grades.

When will my Fuel rewards expire?
All Points are accrued from the 1st of the month thru the last day of the month. Discounts will extend to the following month if not used in that time frame, only increments of 100 points will carry over for the following month. Example January 1st thru January 31st. Discounts will extend to the last day of February if not used in that time frame, only increments of 100 points will carry over for the following month.

Other restrictions?
Purchases of Lottery tickets, Postage Stamps, Money Orders, Alcohol, Tobacco Products, Western Union money transfers and money orders, Pharmacy Prescriptions, Ticketmaster purchases or fuel and or items purchased at the fuel center will not count towards the .10 cent accumulation. Points cannot be transferred to any other Fry’s member. Rewards hold no cash value and are not valid with any other offer.

AMS

AMS

Angel

• Platinum Member
  • 30,941 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 26-December 02
Mega Foods

Frequently Asked Questions

What's the Mega Fuel Rewards Program?

When you shop Mega Foods, you save money on fuel at Mega Holiday. By purchasing qualifying grocery items at any of the Eau Claire or Chippewa Falls Mega Foods grocery stores, you can earn discounts towards fuel purchases at any Mega Holiday location in Eau Claire or Chippewa Falls.

How Do I Earn Mega Fuel Rewards?

It's easy! As you shop any of the Mega Foods Eau Claire or Chippewa Falls stores, simply look for items that have the Mega Fuel Rewards Program logo displayed. By purchasing those items, you'll earn discounts that can be applied toward future fuel purchases.

It's convenient! By having the cashier scan your Mega Member Card or Mega Discount card at the time of grocery purchase, your discount earned will be placed on your card.

Don't have a card yet? Ask your cashier for one today!

Where Can I Redeem my Discounts?

You can redeem your Mega Miles Discounts at any of the 16 Mega Holiday locations in Eau Claire or Chippewa Falls.

More Savings...More Stores...We're In Your Neighborhood!

How Do I Redeem my Discounts?

At the time of your fuel purchase, present your card to any Mega Holiday cashier. They will scan the card, your discount will be applied towards the purchase of your gasoline-and you'll save! It's that easy! *

How Do I Know How Many Reward Discounts I Have on My Card?

For up-to-date total discount information, you may conveniently check your card at any of the self help kiosks located in each Mega Foods supermarket or simply ask a Mega Holiday cashier.

*MMR discounts are valid for 21 days from the time they are awarded. Once discounts are redeemed, remaining discounts or those exceeding the price of gas on the card cannot be used and will not be carried over to the next transaction. Mega Miles Reward Discounts are not transferable.

AMS

AMS

Angel

• Platinum Member
  • 30,941 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 26-December 02
Farm Fresh

1. Shop for specially marked Fuel Express items and receive a discount ticket at the check out. The more special items you purchase, the more you save per gallon.

2. Save up to 10 discount tickets that can be applied to a maximum 15 gallon purchase.

3. Scan your discount tickets (up to 10) and watch the price of gas drop - on up to 15 gallons.

AMS

AMS

Angel

• Platinum Member
  • 30,941 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 26-December 02

Not exactly a grocery store... :p

Posted Image

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 143,939 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Posted Image

ADVANCE NOTICE FOR EMAIL SUBSCRIBERS ONLY!

This weekend we're rolling back the pump price! Use your Speedy Rewards card at the pump when you purchase gasoline on Saturday or Sunday* and save 3 cents per gallon. This offer is only for Speedy Rewards members and you must bring your card.

You say you don't have the wallet card to scan at the pump? No problem - but you'll need to go inside to pay. Present your Speedy Rewards keychain card inside, and you too will save 3 cents.

This offer only applies to gasoline and is not valid on purchases in Wisconsin or West Virginia (but we'll give you an extra 10 points per gallon on Saturday and Sunday for gasoline purchases in those states).

So fire up the jalopy, pull out the gas cans, and fill up this weekend.

*Rollbacks are available at participating Speedway and SuperAmerica branded locations from 12:00 am Saturday, May 2nd through 11:59 pm Sunday, May 3rd. At stores where there is another rollback program in effect, the member will receive the higher valued rollback, but not both. Cents off gasoline coupons may be used in addition to the rollback.

Where I am is where I need to be...
Just Another Chicago Born & Raised Kook
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 23-December 02
BP or Shell Gas Gift Card $50 for $40 at Publix

Exp 7/15/09

ka0s

ka0s

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 23-November 03
I saw on mythbusters you can get like 40% better efficiency tailgating a semi from 20 feet!!! (no.. do not try this)
1566 days cig free @ 6 a pack = $9396 Saved!!!!!
Best bargain I can think of to share!

Warshed

Warshed

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-October 06
DUDE 40%, I am totally going to be tailgating SEMI's now.

WingsOverVA

WingsOverVA

Licensed Pilot & Resident Bird Brain

• 11,035 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Joined 28-December 02

I saw on mythbusters you can get like 40% better efficiency tailgating a semi from 20 feet!!! (no.. do not try this)

No it wasn't at 20 feet, it was at 10 or less. This really wasn't a good myth for them to check out as many young drivers from the 70s (and the Mid-West) could have confirmed that it was no myth and they didn't even do it right. You only get a minimal gain from trailing while in gear. To get the most benefit from drafting you have to 1. Most Importantly - be in radio contact with the truck so he knows what you are doing, and, 2. Get close enough that you can take your car out of gear so you are being sucked along while the car is at idle in neutral. It also has to be on a mostly straight, flat road otherwise you end up having to shift in and out of gear to maintain position and that will eat up your fuel economy savings.

Route 55 from Chicago to Bloomington-Normal (Illinois State University) used to be a perfect road for drafting and is where I learned and practiced it. My brother had a 1975 VW Rabbit that would draft the best. My 1976 Capri did well too but at a closer distance than the Rabbit.

Also they should have experimented with semi trucks. You see them drafting in gear all the time when traveling in a mutiple truck convoy. I'm told it can make a huge difference in fuel economy for the trucks in the rear. But law enforcement frowns on drafting, obviously, as you have to maintain a less-than-safe stopping distance between you and the rear of the truck in front of you. And because you have to maintain a high degree of alertness while drafting it can really wear you out mentally and physically.
To Frank Lynn Sikes 1958-2008

ka0s

ka0s

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 23-November 03

2. Get close enough that you can take your car out of gear so you are being sucked along while the car is at idle in neutral.

really? I remember when they tried it at real close proximity he lost MPG cause he was constantly accelerating and decellerating - while in the others he was able to maintain a more constant speed.

being sucked in while in neutral doesn't seem like it would be strong enough to actually carry the car - especially if only a 40% gain was achieved while in gear -
1566 days cig free @ 6 a pack = $9396 Saved!!!!!
Best bargain I can think of to share!

WingsOverVA

WingsOverVA

• 11,035 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Joined 28-December 02
From the show results:

Freightliner lent the MythBusters one of their new Cascadia big rigs, which they are billing as the most aerodynamic big rig on the market.

Mike Ryan, Hollywood stunt driver, was there to educate Grant on the ins and outs of drafting. Also on-hand was Andrew Smith, test engineer, who helped them hook up a computer to the fuel injection system to accurately measure the fuel consumption.

•55mph control: 32mpg
•100ft: 35.5mpg, 11% improvement
•50ft: 38.5mpg, 20%
•20ft: 40.5mpg, 27%
•10ft: 44.5mpg, 39%
•2ft: 41mpg, 29%
The fuel economy actually dropped at 2ft. Andrew Smith's theory was that at 2ft, Grant got nervous with the throttle as it was difficult to maintain that 2ft gap.

This backs up what I said, throttle variations will eat up any economy gains.

Another big factor is the shape and size of the car. The rabbit was almost the perfect shape as you could just drive it up and feel the pull take over. The Capri had to be finessed into the sweet spot. An old style VW Bug I never could get to the right spot, same with a triumph GT6. I think the GT6 was just too low and the bug just the wrong shape.

Drafting out of gear is not so much the sucking of the truck as it is the aerodynamics of being drawn from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure, the greater the difference the higher the draw. Much like a jet turbine engine. Unlike a rocket engine that derives all of it's thrust from the rocket's exhaust, a jet gets much of it's thrust from the low pressure zone created in front of the engine that draws it forward. This was always a point of contention between flight students and jet rated instructors before the Harrier jump jet came on the scene.

This is also backed up by the results from the Mythbusters/NASA tests:

NASA let them do a small scale test to study the aerodynamics of a big rig. They captured video of smoke travelling over a minature big rig and verified that there is a low pressure area behind. They then stuck a minature car to a force gauge to study the difference with and without drafting.

•7 car lengths: 21% drag reduction
•10ft: 60%
•6ft: 80%
•2ft: 93%

This is also why it works best on a flat, straight surface, when you start adding arcs either horizontally or vertically the pressure vectors spread out to the point of diluting the needed differential to maintain the speed of the drafting vehicle.

WingsOverVA

WingsOverVA

• 11,035 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • Joined 28-December 02
Another test they did backed up the out of gear draft as well, it was Tory on the bicycle. If he had a larger area to be "pushed" ahead of the high pressure area he could have coasted without any pedaling.

Bonus myth: Drafting with a bicycle

They setup Tory with a heart rate monitor and had him peddle twice down the road at 20mph. The first time by himself, the second time he got to draft the big rig. Tory was able to coast behind the big rig, barely pedaling, whereas his heart rate averaged 166 without the help of a draft.

wally48159

wally48159

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 22-December 03
Here's a tip. Call your congressman, and tell him/her to drill for the oil that is under our feet!! We could have $1.00/gallon gas again. Personally, I would like an F350 as a daily driver.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users