Welcome to bargainshare
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Garage sale finds

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Look at what I just picked up at a garage sale for $1: Sony DVP-NS57P/B Progressive Scan DVD Player

It was missing the remote. Works perfectly. :)
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Miranda

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Good deal! And great idea for a thread. :) It's been a long time since I've been to a garage sale or had one, but it'll be interesting to see what kinds of deals other people get.

Nack

Nack

The Florida LitiGator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,653 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Nice find! I used to garage sale frequently, but lately, I just haven't had the extra time. Best thing I ever found at a garage sale was a small, very old, 20-dollar gold ingot (worth a few hundred dollars at the time I found it). I found it in the bottom of an old steamer trunk that was also for sale. I held it in my hand so they could see it, and asked "how much?" They said "75 cents". I said ok, gave them a dollar, said keep the change, and left as quickly as possible. :p
RIP HarleyD

xodo

xodo

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 26-November 06
The best thing I ever got was a Gorham sterling silver dresser set (mirror, brush, and comb) for $6! It was almost black with tarnish, but it cleaned up beautifully and is gorgeous. I love it!

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 138,592 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
The majority of our furniture has come from garage sales/estate auctions...No pressed wood for us...our best furniture finds have been a 50's style glass fronted hutch for $10, a Terry Redlin framed print for $5, and a dry sink for $4... :)

Edited by kar522, 15 June 2008 - 07:29 AM.

Where I am is where I need to be...
Just Another Chicago Born & Raised Kook
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

racer2'swife

racer2'swife

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 17-October 06
My best one for the past couple years was a racing helemt for my DH. Got a like new Impact helmet, protective cover, helmet bag & gear bag all for 125.00 Pretty good deal when it is a 400. helmet new, not to mention the bags. I even lucked out on tear off's a buddy of DH's has a case of em he don't use so he gave him enough to last a while.

Helmet: http://www.impactrac...ws?sku=15100408

Helmet Bag: http://www.impactrac...ws?sku=71000910

Gear Bag: http://www.impactrac...ws?sku=72000910

Edited by racer2'swife, 16 June 2008 - 05:42 AM.

LiveFree-orBuy

LiveFree-orBuy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 01-May 05
One of my favorite yard sale bargains was a Longaberger basket (originally priced over $50.) that I bought for a quarter. :D

racer2'swife

racer2'swife

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 17-October 06
I have gotten alot of Home Interiors for under a buck. Garage sales are my Favorite!!! One time I got my oldest a PBTeen comforter set for 5.00 and a pair of NB tennies New in box w/ all orig tags for 2.50 n they were over 70. shoes Getting jeans or shorts and finding money on them is always an added bonus. Found a $50 one time in a pair of jeans I got for 1.00

Edited by racer2'swife, 16 June 2008 - 07:35 PM.

PBail

PBail

Aluminum Foil Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 25-June 08
what a great deal! I never seem to find deals that good.

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03

what a great deal! I never seem to find deals that good.

Well, you usually need to negotiate.

In my case, the DVD player was listed for $10.
I offered $3 and he accepted.
But he didn't have change for a $20, and the only other change I had was a $1. :)
"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

p0larbear

p0larbear

smarter than the average bear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 04-February 03
I got 3 of these for $3 each
They were new in the package, and all 3 worked.
It was actually a small salvage store that is very much like going to a garage sale. You have to dig through boxes upon boxes of stuff to get to the good stuff.

home depot link

Posted Image

garsh

garsh

Captain Obvious

• 14,278 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-February 03
Wow, nice p0larbear! Those are really nice to have for checking cable runs, or just cables.

wurlybird9

wurlybird9

refurbished member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-July 03
permits were free this weekend. there were sales on every block I got a shiatsu massage cushion for $5 nice wolverine boots, practically new, for $5 Curtis 2GB Mp3 player for 50 cents. (missing cable, but it's just an 8-pin USB mini-B connector and a few other stuffs.
A retart is a refurbished pastry.

pradman

pradman

Gold Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 20-February 04

Curtis 2GB Mp3 player for 50 cents. (missing cable, but it's just an 8-pin USB mini-B connector
and a few other stuffs.

50 cents!! LOL!

wurlybird9

wurlybird9

refurbished member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 05-July 03

Curtis 2GB Mp3 player for 50 cents. (missing cable, but it's just an 8-pin USB mini-B connector
and a few other stuffs.

50 cents!! LOL!

Actually, there was no rap music preloaded, but I did enjoy some Bratz, Cheetah Girls, and Carrie Underwood while testing it.
A retart is a refurbished pastry.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 138,592 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
WOW...From Foxsports...

I would not have picked it up because it is ugly...

LeBron Pendant Pays Off For Ohio woman

Posted Image

This pendant, bought for $5, is worth $10,000.

Updated Jul 15, 2010 1:31 AM ET
AKRON, Ohio (AP)

An Ohio woman who paid $5 at a yard sale for a LeBron James pendant she thought was costume jewelry has found out it's worth nearly $10,000.

Vaneisha Robinson, 20, says she used to wear the basketball jersey-shaped pendant to high school when she didn't know its value. Then she had it appraised.

The International Gemological Institute says Robinson's find is the real deal. Gemologist Jerry Ehrenwald says the 14-karat white gold pendant sports more than 2 carats of diamonds.

The No. 23 jersey reads ''King'' on the front and ''James'' on the back.

Robinson is an amateur boxer in James' hometown of Akron, Ohio. She has listed the jewelry on eBay. She says the King's brand will never die even though he's left the Cleveland Cavaliers to play for the Miami Heat.

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.~Catherine Aird

pradman

pradman

Gold Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 20-February 04
http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=C1

Experts: Ansel Adams photos found at garage sale worth $200 million

Two small boxes he bought 10 years ago for $45 -- negotiated down from $70 -- is now estimated to be worth at least $200 million dollars, according to a Beverly Hills art appraiser.

Miranda

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Wow @ kar & pradman's posts!

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
GEICO mocks Antique Roadshow.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JdfeW2h8Qo4

The family of Ansel and Virginia Adams is saying that they have all of Ansel's work and the found plates are bogus. IMHO, there still a good market for reproductions of the photos and it's a cash cow.

http://www.anseladams.org/
Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03

Posted Image

This article screams ghetto.

Woman files lawsuit over LeBron pendant

An Ohio woman claims in a lawsuit that she was threatened into giving a LeBron James jersey pendant worth about $10,000 to the mother of the NBA star's business manager.

VaNeisha Robinson of Akron filed the lawsuit last month in Medina County Common Pleas Court in northeast Ohio. She said she turned over the diamond-encrusted pendant out of fear for her safety after she was invited to the Wadsworth home that Katherine Powers shares with son Maverick Carter, CEO of James' marketing company, Cleveland-based LRMR.

The pendant depicts the jersey James wore with the Cleveland Cavaliers before he went to the Miami Heat. Carter has said the pendant was stolen from him three years ago.

Robinson said the pendant was in a box of items she bought for $5 at a garage sale about five years ago. She said she was unaware of its value until she had it appraised in May and considers herself its legal owner. She claims Powers lured her to her home in July by saying that she wanted to buy it and that James would be there.

The suit makes several allegations, including false imprisonment, civil theft and conspiracy and infliction of emotional distress. Besides the return of the pendant, Robinson seeks $25,000 for each act of imprisonment, conspiracy and infliction of emotional pain as well as undetermined compensatory damages.

Powers and Carter have said in a court filing that Robinson did visit the home and give Powers the pendant, but they denied the other accusations and asked that the lawsuit be dismissed.

They say that Robinson ''came into possession of the pendant through the commission of a theft offense.''

''Maverick Carter is the true owner of the Pendant ... and has superior right to ownership and possession,'' the filing said.

A call to LRMR's publicist after business hours Tuesday was not immediately returned.

Robinson claims she arrived at the home with family and a friend to find Powers and ''eight or nine unknown persons waiting for her inside and outside of the house.''

She says she ''immediately felt threatened when she walked into the house'' and that the unknown people and Powers threatened her and her companions and held them against their will, blocking the car they arrived in, until she handed over the pendant.

She claims that Powers had slammed her hand on a table and said, ''I am mad now!'' and ''Ya'll aren't leaving until I get that piece.''

In July, a Wadsworth police report indicated that officers were investigating a receiving stolen property complaint involving the pendant. Sgt. James Elchlinger said then that he had determined the item was a one-of-a-kind piece and belonged to Carter.

Messages to the department and Elchlinger were not immediately returned Tuesday.

Robinson, an amateur boxer, had put the pendant up for sale on eBay after it was appraised, and she appeared in media reports discussing her surprise at its value. Her visit to the Carter-Powers home came shortly thereafter.

http://msn.foxsports...-pendant-101910
Build the Border Fence

Given a choice, voters in the majority of states have reaffirm The Defense of Marriage Act, each and every time. It was wrong for judges and politicians to enact legal policies that are typically not honored in the majority of states. To be clear to the 'No H8' crowd, many Americans will never except an 'Adam and Steve' union as equal to a traditional marriage. It ain't hatery, they are just living their values.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 138,592 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Going thru old safety deposit boxes can be as much fun as garage sales...

Nuns Auctioning Rare Baseball Card

An order in Baltimore received a donated Honus Wagner card, one of about 60 known to exist.

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 138,592 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

An order in Baltimore received a donated Honus Wagner card, one of about 60 known to exist.

Good for them...

Nuns Sell Honus Wagner Card For $262K

kas

kas

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,153 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 02-August 03
If you been keeping up with Madoffs, some of their possessions went under the gavel. The media made a big deal that $2 million was raised, except there are countless billions lost in the twilight zone. On the other hand, someone cough up nearly $576,000 for a Kirk Gibson's 1988 WS bat, while a Gibson's jersey from the same series went for over $300,000. Lets not forget the so called "Gretzky" T206 Honus Wagner has at times been not great of an investment.
Build the Border Fence

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 138,592 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03

Good for them...

Nuns Sell Honus Wagner Card For $262K

Nuns' Wagner Card Goes To New Buyer

kar522

kar522

Nana Bargainshare

• Staff
  • 138,592 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Joined 02-February 03
Sweet Find!: Cadbury Worker May Get $1.6 Million for Ancient Chinese Moonflask

By ARTINFO
Published: February 3, 2011

Where do you go when you find a fancy-looking bit of Chinese porcelain in your cupboard? It seems that provincial British auction houses may be your best bet. Last year, a fish-bedecked porcelain Qianglong-era vase fetched $85 million at Bainbridges Auction House in Middlesex, setting a world record for a Chinese work at auction. Now, a blue-and-white Ming moonflask will be sold at Dorset-based Duke's auctioneers, after being hauled in for sale in a cardboard box by a 79-year-old retired Cadbury worker. The 15th-century treasure is expected to go for 1 million ($1.6 million) when it hits the auction block on May 12.

The 11-and-a-half inch vase, which dates from 1403-1424 AD the reign of Yongle, the third Ming emperor boasts patterning influenced by Islamic design, a full, round body, a narrow neck, looping handles, and a small opening at its top. But the object is particularly remarkable due to its size: It is the largest such early Ming moonflask from the Yongle era ever seen.

It is not entirely clear why Chinese vases such as this one have been doing so phenomenally well at auction of late, although theories range from the ascendancy of the Chinese art market, to the fine craftsmanship of objects themselves, to the patriotism of Chinese collectors.

"When my colleague initially showed me what had arrived in a cardboard box I could not believe my eyes," Duke's auctioneer Guy Schwinge told the BBC. Last year, a Qianlong-period Chinese vase sold at Dukes for 765,000 ($1.2 million). While the owner of the Ming moonflask does not want to be named, BBC has reported that the former chocolate factory worker "lives modestly and has been interested in antiques for many years." Talk about finding the golden ticket.

Posted Image

The above Ming moonflask is estimated to take in $1.6 million.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users